Hydrant Use & Flow Test Policy
Policy For Fire HydrantsThe following is a basic list outlining the rules for fire hydrant use in the City of Attleboro:
- Use of any hydrant in the City of Attleboro must have Water Department approval.
- Back flow set ups must be used on all hydrants. The following is a complete back flow assembly. Hydrant adapter, water meter ball valve reduce pressure zone back flow, ball valve, hose connection and hydrant wrench.
- The contractor is responsible for the purchase of all back flow set ups.
- Each back flow set up must be checked by the Water Department before the hydrant can be used. The procedure for using the hydrant will be explained at that time.
- Alternatively, assemblies can be rented from the Water Department. Rental is charged at $300.00 per week, or $1000.00 per month. In addition, the Water Department requires a $1500.00 deposit on all rentals. The deposit will be returned when the assembly is returned in suitable condition.
- Street sweeping contractors must have their sweepers inspected by the Water Department before using a hydrant. The Water Department will determine what hydrants are to be used.
- The Water Department buys the materials needed at Stiles Company, which can be reached at 800-426-6246 and EJ. Prescott with Red Hed Supply who can be reached at 800-356-8605.
- The Fee for the use of the hydrant is $200, the charge has to be paid before the hydrant is used. The water used will be billed at the current rate set by the city.
- Contractors that are hired to work for the city must have their back flow set ups inspected annually, before they use a hydrant. State regulations and city policy are constantly changing to protect the public drinking water.
- If you need additional information or have any questions you can contact the Water Department.
Hydrant Flow Test PolicyHydrant flow testing for an engineering company, insurance company, contractor, or person requesting a flow test is required to:
- Fill out an application with the Water Department.
- Place an ad in the Attleboro Sun Chronicle. This ad has to run no more than 2 days before the flow test. If for any reason the ad does not run in the newspaper the flow test will be cancelled. All fees will be charged again for rescheduling the flow test.